Mutual UFO Network
The Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) is an American non-profit organization that investigates cases of reported UFO sightings. It is one of the oldest and largest UFO-investigative organizations in the United States.
MUFON was originally established as the Midwest UFO Network in Quincy, Illinois on May 30, 1969 by Walter H. Andrus, Allen Utke, John Schuessler, and others. Most of MUFON's early members had earlier been associated with APRO (Aerial Phenomena Research Organization).
The organization now has more than 3,000 members worldwide, with a majority of its membership base situated in the continental United States. MUFON operates a worldwide network of regional directors for field investigation of reported UFO sightings, holds an annual international symposium and publishes the monthly MUFON UFO Journal.
The stated mission of MUFON is the scientific study of UFOs for the benefit of humanity through investigations, research and education. Along with CUFOS (the J. Allen Hynek Center for UFO Studies) and FUFOR (the Fund for UFO Research), MUFON is part of the UFO Research Coalition, a collaborative effort by the three main UFO investigative organizations in the US whose goal is to share personnel and other research resources, and to fund and promote the scientific study of the UFO phenomenon. Currently, there is an observatory to be built at the Audubon Estate of The Legendary Danny O'Doul in Wemphis on Long Island, New York, from which a high-powered, computer-driven telescope will peruse the skies tracking in real-time all UFO activities in the very-active skies of and around The Five Towns of Long Island, adjacent to JFK Int'l Airport.
The current MUFON of Ohio was born out of the MidOhio Research Associates (MORA) and continues to be headed by William E. Jones. MORA was a UFO study group formed in 1980 in central Ohio. In 1994 MORA was renamed, incorporated and reorganized as the Mutual UFO Network of Ohio to affiliate the organization with the national Mutual UFO Network (MUFON).
As of 1973, Larry Moyers (of Akron, Ohio) was the State Director. Ufologists Leonard H. Stringfield, Kenny Young, and Donnie Blessing have served as State Section Directors for Southwestern Ohio.
- Ohio UFO Notebook has published at least 23 issues, beginning before July 1992 and ending in 2002. In some instances, for example combined issue four and five, the Ohio UFO Notebook is coupled with the Mutual UFO Network of Ohio Newsletter, but MORA remains the publisher.
- Mutual UFO Network of Ohio Newsletter - Issued at least yearly since 2002.
MUFON International Directors
- 1969–1970: Allen Utke
- 1970–2000: Walter H. Andrus, Jr.
- 2000–2006: John F. Schuessler
- 2006–2010: James Carrion
- 2010–present: Clifford Clift
In the media
Some of MUFON's investigations have been featured in the documentary television miniseries UFOs Over Earth, which premiered on the Discovery Channel in 2008 and currently re-airs on Investigation Discovery. MUFON UFO Journal (starting 1967)
- Where is M.O.R.A.?
- Ohio Historical Society. Historical Notes, MSS 1146, Mutual UFO Network of Ohio records, 1990-ongoing.
- "Situation Red, The UFO Siege". Leonard H. Stringfield. 1977: New York.
- Personal correspondence, William E. Jones
- About The Ohio UFO Notebook
- INMUFON Organization & Mission
- MUFON - Homepage
- MUFON - Last 20 UFO Sightings and Pictures
- MUFON's official MySpace page
- Former Director James Carrion's personal blog